Wednesday, May 30, 2007

This story from India needs to be retired

Every few weeks I see a story in the American media about dabbawallahs, a network of delivery men who carry freshly cooked lunches to office workers every day.

Dabbawallahs are very popular--I have used the service when I was working in Mumbai (Bombay). They are inexpensive, accurate and always on-time. Fortune and other magazines have done a story on them. Prince Charles visited them on his trip to Mumbai and even wedding one of the dabbawallahs to his wedding to Camilla. More from Wikipedia.

Now I see this piece from The New York Times.

It seems as if every writer who goes to Mumbai and sees the dabbawallahs wants to do a story on them, never mind the exact same thing has been written about many, many times before.

I wonder if they even check Factiva/Lexis Nexis before they pitch the story.

No comments: