Tuesday, August 28, 2007

More on Weekly World News

This time a former Weekly World News reporter says it all on Salon.

From the article: You could never shake the suspicion that some folks actually believed that "February Sues for More Days" and that there was a "Hide-and-Seek Player Found After 34 Years," or that a "New Study Reveals Stitch in Time Only Saves Eight" -- and that was part of the paper's charm, of course. Nobody, not even the editors, knew how many readers put stock in their stories. But the fact that the advertisers consisted almost entirely of psychics, lucky-charm purveyors and astrologers -- and not a single car manufacturer (or even vacuum cleaner salesman) -- indicated that there were indeed consumers who believed the front-page claim that the News was "The World's Only Reliable Newspaper."

I wonder if there's a way to get archived issues of the paper. Maybe some publishing house could release a 'Complete Collection of WWN' book. I will be among the first to buy a copy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, I don't have no idea enter to your blog, it is a blog and you get more traffic, I always visit it
any way, it may be possible to put your site in my blog list? and more over it would be a honor if you
could my blog to your friend list or any part of your blog
Here is my blog. http://sompost.com/

let me know if you added
Thanks before hand!