Thursday, July 12, 2007

TheFind.com

After reading the news today that comparison shopping engine, TheFind.com bagged $15 million in series C funding I decided to check the site out.

I remember meeting Siva Kumar, the CEO of TheFind.com at a party last year. Siva and I were scheduled to have a greater discussion at the Red Herring office but I moved to TheStreet.com before we could make it happen.

I wish now that I had a chance to chat with him. I loved the site today when I tried it out. I use Google product search regularly but it is so bad I have almost given up on it. It amazes me that Google, which can do a pretty good job with web search, can't handle vertical search at all.

On TheFind.com I first searched for "quilt covers" and "gym bag", both products I am looking to buy. The results were great, neatly categorized by brand, price, and with excellent pictures.

Google's product search results for the same terms is terrible.

Meanwhile, Like.com, a "visual search" engine is going from bad to worse. I can never seem to find anything I want on it and I think it is just not an effective product.

It's an interesting comparison between TheFind.com and Like.com. The former is a low-profile company with a very exciting and effective technology while the latter was at one point a big Silicon Valley blogger favorite that I think just doesn't deliver the goods.

Google better watch out. In TheFind.com it has some real competition.

No comments: