Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Lessons learnt about blogging from 2007

23 days into the New Year, here are five lessons I learnt from my attempt to blog last year. And of course, some resolutions for this year.

1. Blogging takes time.
With a full-time job as a tech and business reporter it has been tough to find the time to blog. I have been pretty sporadic in my postings, and haven't updated my blog since October. I have felt pretty guilty about that but it is tough to bring myself to go home and type up more words on my blog after doing pretty much that all day at work.

2. Blogging needs a focus.
A clear beat--consumer electronics, video games and IT security--has helped me stay focused on what I do at work. With my blog, I write whatever I find interesting for the day. It's fun but is also distracting and eventually has contributed to my sliding off the blogging bandwagon.

3. Blogging makes me opinionated.
Careful to keep my personal opinions about what I cover at work, I find myself being very opinionated about what I blog. This is just a matter-of-fact observation, still one that has been a revelation to me since I try so hard to keep my feelings about an issue out of the story at work.

4. Blogging is tough.
For reasons 1 and 2 stated above.

5. Blogging has made me many connections.
The few people who read my blog or stumbled on it have been great to talk to and I have connected with some old sources and friends.

So my resolution for this year: Obviously do more of it!

2 comments:

Neelesh said...

If you blog often, blogging becomes easy.

I now take less time to write a post/article

n.vijayan said...

Hi Priya,

Very interesting blog. Can I please have your email ID?

Thanks and regards,
Nageena